Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The only game in town is rigged

Yesterday I received a sensationalistic email from a local anti-war organization here in Maryland — one of an umbrella of groups I respected working on everything from verified voting to climate change – pushing a call from ANSWER Coalition for a Day of Action in Washington, DC to “Free Gaza”. When I wrote back pointing out that Hamas is no more the hero than the Israeli Gov’t, and that shouldn’t a group founded to oppose the Iraq War stick to its own message, I received about six paragraphs of Hamas cheerleading without a shred of pretense at objectivity, topped with patronizing advice to watch “foreign media” to educate myself.

After a short back-and-forth, the organizational director who was emailing me said he agreed with my contention that the situation was too complicated and that both Jews and Palestinians had too much righteousness, crime, and trauma for there to be any kind of clear heroes and villains; but he claimed that the Free Gaza Action (backed by two-state-rejectionists Al Awda and not a single Jewish peace group) was the ‘only game in town’. So I thank Dan for proving this guy wrong.
If that's the only game in town, the we're all fucked. Fortunately, there is going to be at least one protest that is actually to be pro-peace. Sunday. Follow the link.

No comments: